In the center is the resurrection from the grave and the descent into the underworld (the realm of the dead). Christ on the crushed gates of the realm of the dead, tears Adam and Eve out of the maw of death and with them the righteous of the Old Testament, led by an angel and John the forerunner. In paradise the Grateful Thief and the Prophet Elias. Top left Peter at the grave and bottom right Jesus and Peter at the Sea of Galilee.
In the corners the four evangelists: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
From left to right the feasts:
- Birth of the Mother of God (Great Feast: September 8)
- Presentation of the Mother of God (Great Feast: November 21)
- Holy Trinity/Visit of the three men to Abraham (Great Feast)
- Annunciation of the Mother of God (Great Feast: March 25)
- Birth of Christ (Great Feast: December 25)
- Presentation of Jesus at the Temple (Great Feast: February 2)
- Baptism of Jesus in the Jordan (Great Feast: January 6)
- Entry into Jerusalem (Great Feast)
- Transfiguration of the Christ (Great Feast: August 6)
- Ascension of Christ (Great Feast)
- Dormition of the Mother of God (Great Feast: August 15)
- Resurrection Lazarus (Feast)
- Pokrov: Protection and Intercession of the Mother of God (Feast: October 1)
- Beheading of the Prophet, Forerunner and Baptist John (Feast: August 29)
- Holy Prophet Elijah (Feast July 20)
- Feast of the Cross/ Exaltation of the Cross (Great Feast: September 14)
In the inside circle from left to right, the Holy Week ("The Great Holy Week"):
- The Last Supper
- The Washing of the Feet
- Agony in the Garden of Gethsemane
- Betrayal of Christ – Kiss of Judas
- Jesus before the High Priest Caiaphas
- Jesus before Pontius Pilate
- The Flagellation
- The Crowning of Thorns
- The Carrying the Cross
- The crucifixion
- The Descent from the Cross
- The Entombment
Gilded background. Beautiful miniature painting from the painting school of Palekh.
Russian icon | Easter, 16 Feasts & the Holy Week | Palekh | 24691
Original antique Russian orthodox iconCertificate of authenticity from an independent expert at the Vienna Dorotheum
Beginning of the 19th century
35.5 x 31 cm (14.0 x 12.2 in)
Visit us in our gallery:Ikonen Mautner, Herrengasse 2-4, 1010 Vienna, Austria.
Price information and further information:firstname.lastname@example.org or +43 1 533 12 24.
Deliveries:We offer insured deliveries worldwide.