The miraculous Russian icon, whose feast is celebrated on August 13th, was in Nizhny Novgorod and after a first miracle was transferred to the village of Palitsa, which is in the same episcopate. At the behest of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich, she was brought to Moscow in 1641 and placed in the Passion Virgin Mary monastery built in her honor. The monastery was demolished after 1928.
As "Mater de Perpetuo Succursu" - the original is in the "Church of the Redeemer and Saint Alfons of Liguori" in Rome, this type found in post-Byzantine times in the Roman Catholic Church through icons of the so-called "Italo-Crethic" School wide spread. A picture of this modern type by Andreas Rico (Ritzos) from Herakleion on Crete, who was active in Italy around the middle and second half of the 16th century and to whom the creation of this representation is still sometimes ascribed, has become famous. The icon, which is very popular in Greece, often bears explanatory inscriptions: "Before he (Archangel Gabriel) greeted the very pure, he shows the instruments of suffering, but Christ, incarnate in mortal flesh, sees them fearfully in agony".
The figure shows Our Lady of the Hodegetria type with the Christ child on her left arm, who looks up at Gabriel.
The child seeking refuge can be found for the first time in the Athos monastery of Hilandar as a fresco copy from the 14th century, then in the Macedonian monastery of Konce, labeled "Fearful Mother of God of Hilandar" - proof that the iconography was known long before Andreas Rico .
Very nice gold painting on the robes (assist).
Russian icon | Mother of God of the Passion | 24834
Original antique Russian orthodox iconCertificate of authenticity from an independent expert at the Vienna Dorotheum
21.5 x 18.5 cm (8.5 x 7.3 in)
Visit us in our gallery:Ikonen Mautner, Herrengasse 2-4, 1010 Vienna, Austria.
Price information and further information:email@example.com or +43 1 533 12 24.
Deliveries:We offer insured deliveries worldwide.